of the "Planet of People"
Annual International Educational Olympiads
for senior high school pupils and students
1. General Principles
These General Principles set out the aims and organisational procedures for the "Planet of People" international educational Olympiads for school pupils and students. They also define the organisational, methodological and financial resources, the method of participation, selection of prize-winners and incentives for participants.
2. Aims and objectives
The aims and objectives of the Planet of People" Olympiad project are as follows:
- to encourage school pupils and students of different countries to study the educational subjects which are included amongst the themes of the Olympiad;
- to foster an affinity for education and erudition, to develop the skills of analytical thought and an understanding of the processes and events taking place in the country and the world;
- to develop a culture of acceptance of different ethno-cultures and the demonstration of individual expression;
- to support the younger generation in acquiring a culture of understanding of the rule of law and political processes;
- to develop leadership qualities, to support civil activity, to foster the non-acceptation of political, racial, nationalistic and religious extremism in all their forms;
- to recognise gifted children and support the development of their skills and personal qualities within the context of their secondary education;
- to provide opportunities for preferential admission for talented school pupils to Institutes of Higher Education in their own country and abroad;
- to assist in finding employment for the prize-winners of the Olympiad within the "Planet of People" organisation and to provide recommendations to partner organisations and other organisations in their countries and abroad;
- to promulgate the idea fundamental to the activities of UNECO and the Planet of People Foundation;
- to enhance the image of the Planet of People project in different countries.
Candidates from all countries of the world who comply with the following requirements are invited to take part in the Planet of People Olympiads on a voluntary basis:
- School pupils from state, municipal and non-state educational institutions which offer basic general education, primary and complete secondary general education;
- Students from all state, municipal and non-state organisations which offer educational programmes in the area of secondary specialised and higher education.
4. Project Partners
The Plant of People foundation invites the partners from the following areas of education and the media to assist in the preparation and organisation of the Olympiads and the dissemination and their results:
- State national and regional municipal structures responsible for matters of culture and educational institutes in the area of primary, secondary, specialised secondary and higher education;
- Academics and teachers willing to provide advisory assistance in the preparation of thematic questions for the Olympiads, the development of a test evaluation system and in the expert assessment of linguistic tasks requiring analysis of specific subjects;
- Volunteers willing to take part in advertising, preparation and organisation of the Olympiads in their countries and abroad;
- All mass media organisations;
- All organisations which can provide online advertising and whose activities do not contradict with the objectives of the Planet of People project.
5. Financial resources
The Planet of People foundation invites sponsorship for the preparation and organisation of the Olympiads from potential sponsors in the following areas from all participating countries:
- National and regional State structures responsible for matters of education and culture;
- Individual charitable sponsors and patrons;
- Corporate sponsors at an international, national, regional and municipal level;
- Grant-allocating organisations involved in the support of cultural and education projects.
6. Themes, tasks and assessment method
6.1 The topics for the Planet of People Olympiads shall be published on the Planet of People website and will be made available to project partner organisations at least one month before the approximate dates of the first stages of the national Olympiads.
6.2 The international and international stages of the Planet of People Olympiads shall be prepared with the advice of expert commissions consisting of university lecturers specialising in a range of subjects. They shall be based upon the standard knowledge-base of secondary school pupils, the standard requirements for higher education programmes in different countries and in addition to the standard educational programmes they shall take into account opportunities for motivated independent preparation by participants.
6.3 The results of the Olympiads will be based on a grade scoring system as well as the expert evaluation of linguistic tests which require analysis on a given theme.
7. General management, reporting commissions, expert and supervisory councils
7.1 The general management of the preparation and organisation of the Planet of People Olympiads shall be carried out by the Organisational Committee which shall consist of the Director of the International Cultural Education Centre of the Planet of People Foundation and representatives of state and municipal educational institutes duly authorised to cooperate.
7.2 Students, assistants and lecturers from all educational institutions are invited to take part in the accounting commissions at all stages of the Olympiads.
7.3 Lectures from institutions of higher education or academics with doctoral degrees in the relevant disciplines are invited to participate in the Olympiads as expert advisors.
7.4 The supervisory councils shall provide organisational support to the Olympiads and shall monitor compliance with the rules of the Planet of People Olympiads at all levels and stages. The following persons may be invited to participate in the supervisory councils: representatives of schools, institutions of higher education, public organisations, municipal, regional and national bodies responsible the management of education of culture, other governmental and inter-governmental structures.
8. Organisation of Olympiads
8.1 The Planet of People Olympiads shall consist of three stages: Stage 1 national Olympiad in each participating country and Stage 2 - National and International Olympiads
8.2 The Olympiads shall be held in a location which shall be agreed with the regional and municipal bodies responsible for education and culture. The Olympiads shall be held on a date to be determined by the Organisational Committee in accordance with their state of preparation.
8.3 The 1st national stage shall be open to school pupils and students (1 candidate from each school or college) who have been recommended by the directors of the corresponding educational institution (general secondary schools, secondary professional schools and institutions of higher education).
8.4 Invitations to the 2nd national stage shall be made to those pupils and students classed in 1, 2 and 3rd places, or all those participants who have achieved the identical highest number of points from the Olympiads in their regions; the tests shall be supplied and completed in electronic form when required.
8.4 Invitations to the international stage shall be made to those pupils and students classed in 1,2 and 3rd places, or all those participants who have achieved the identical highest number of points from the Olympiads in their countries; the tests shall be supplied and completed in electronic form when required.
8.6 For the purposes of the international Olympiads (with the exception of foreign language testing) the candidates shall received all the tests in their native (official) language.
9. Results and awards for prize-winners
9.1 The amount of the prize fund awarded by the Planet of People Organisational Committee as well as the possibility of special prizes awarded by sponsors at each stage of the Olympiad shall be announced in advance of the Olympiad.
9.2 The duration of the Olympiads as well as the procedure for announcing the results shall be set out by the Organisational Committee in accordance with the specific nature of the Olympiad and the stages.
9.3 All participants in the Planet of People Olympiads shall receive a certificate of participation.
9.4 Participants classed in 1, 2 and 3 places shall receive corresponding diplomas and financial remuneration.
9.5. In the event that it is impossible to determine the winners, all participants who receive the identical highest number of points/highest expert assessment, shall be declared prize winners and the prize fund shall be divided between them.
10. Privileges for prize winners
10.1 The prize winners at all stages of the "Planet of People" Olympiads from amongst senior school pupils may be granted special privileges when applying for budget-funded places in state educations institutions of professional secondary education as well as state and municipal educational institutions of higher professional education, corresponding to the specialised areas of the Olympiads.
10.2 The prize winners at all levels of the Planet of People Olympiad who are senior students of institutions of higher education, may upon completion of their education be granted special privileges when applying for vacant places within the Planet of People's structure and will be ensured the full cooperation of the Foundation when applying for positions in other organisations.
10.3 The prize-winners at all levels of the Planet of People Olympiads for senior school pupils and students involving knowledge of the language, history and the culture of a given country, may be granted special privileges when applying for budget-funded places in state education institutions of secondary professional education as well as state and municipal educational institutions of higher professional education in the corresponding country.
11. Information about Olympiads in the Mass Media
11.1 All the mass media organisations in the different countries are invited to disseminate information about all phases of the Planet of People Olympiads; video reports about the Olympiads at a regional, national and international level shall be accessible on the Planet of People website.
11.2 Printed information about all the Olympiads including data about the number of participants, names of the members of the reporting commissions, experts and members of the supervisory councils, as well as the questions set and answers to them given by the prize-winners of the national and international stages of the Olympiads will be published in a special section in all the language versions of the Planet of People website.
Translated from Russian by David Mossop